Recently my daughter gave me a box of old wool clothes that she had been saving to make a braided rug, which didn't look like happening any time soon. I deconstructed them and washed them in hot water, then dried on high in the dryer. Not exactly felted, but dense and clean!. After staring at them for a few days, and being in the midst of another project (Fireside Star) from the book Flannel Gatherings, I laid that project aside for a while and proceeded to make a wool quilt for my bed. Needles to say, it is full of interesting things (some call them mistakes). First of all, there wasn't enough of any one fabric to follow the pattern, so I substituted where necessary. Next, I should have pressed the seams open to reduce bulk. I quilted it on my Tin Lizzie, and had some problems with the thickness of the 3 layers of wool quilt top, batting, and flannel backing (I wanted it to be WARM). So there are lots of bobbles and bumps, but overall, I am satisfied with it, and I will be the one sleeping under it, so that is ok. My main reason for making this quilt, since I rarely use patterns, was to bring my longarm quilting to a new level. I pretty much do meanders and feathers, and this one looked like a challenge. I found the designs not as difficult as they looked at first, once I got a good look at them.
I'm posting the picture of the unquilted top here and will post the finished product when I get the binding completed.